Monday 20 February 2012

My Crazy Art Idea


This weekend I was looking at some of my old teaching projects from Grade 2 and I came across this treasure.  I call it crazy because I was able to make this not only an art lesson but a social studies, math, and science lesson as well (don't you love it when you can cover a few curriculum outcomes all at once! Well I do, I even do a little happy dance when I realize it is possible)

So here it is:

1.  I made a grid on water color poster paper (I would suggest a thicker paper because it is more durable and easier to put back together.
A simple example of the grid I made.








2.  I outlined a picture from an Inuit art calendar with a sharpie pen (In social studies we cover Inuit culture so art was one of my outcomes).  You can pick any picture/drawing that you want.  Just make sure it is something simple enough to draw (but not super obvious in each square... you will know why soon).

3. Cut out the grid.  On the opposite side add coordinates (I would mark the columns with A,B,C's and the rows with 1,2,3's) so that you know how to put it back together.

4.  Randomly give each student a square from the grid.  I told the class that the letter and number on the back will be used later, but for now it just tells them that it is the back.  I instructed my class to color each shape on their square a different color, so that the two shapes that are touching each other are not the same color.  

5.  For my class I used water color pencils (these are the best thing since sliced bread!  They are easy to use with the little kiddos and it helps them learn basic techniques like holding a brush, using the correct amount of water, etc.).  However, you can use whatever you want! Depending on what you choose also influences which paper you use in step 1.

6.  Have each student color their square and let them dry.  Since I used water colors I had to iron my squares flat the next day.

7.  Create a poster board with the same grid that you made on your original (with matching coordinates). This is how I introduced a math lesson! I explained how the coordinate system worked, and I went around the class and had each student match their square to the right place on the poster.

8.  I would stop the class throughout this and we would make predictions about what we thought the picture would be.  This was part of my science outcome (using our science vocabulary).  I discussed how we are making PREDICTIONS and that we have to back up our predictions with EVIDENCE.  Some of the predictions were priceless, and this part was a lot of fun for the class.

9.  Lastly we put the picture back together and students got to see if their original prediction was correct.

10.  I then introduced the class to the techniques used in Inuit Art and we did some research into Inuit Artists. 


So yes, I am a little crazy, but I would definitely use this art idea again. 

3 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I can see why you would do it again. We all have those projects that take some extra prep time but we love them so much it doesn't matter. :)

    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It was one project I didn't want to take off the bulletin board.

      Amy

      Delete
  2. I love this one. It is so cute - I would want to do it again as well!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete